Before starting: clean barrel, purchase supplies, decide which downspout it will be attached to, mark hole locations and gather tools.
• 1 - 55 Gallon Plastic Drum (food grade) • 1 - Hose Bib: 3/4” (spigot) • Teflon tape or caulk • Universal Sump Pump Hose Kit • 1 - 1 1/2” Conduit locknut, steel • 1 - 1 1/2” Schedule 40 - 90° elbow • 1 - Flex-A-Spout® • 2 - 6 x 1/2 Slot Zinc Hex Washer Head Sheet Metal Screws • 1 - Downspout Strainer (fits 3x4” and 4” round pipe)
Tools: • 1/2” Drill (corded is best) • 4” Hole saw bit • 1 7/8” Hole saw bit • 1/4” Pilot drill bit • 1” Speed bore bit • Small hex drive bit • Utility knife • Safety glasses and gloves
1. Downspout — use 4” hole saw bit to drill hole on top of barrel over one of the existing holes.
2. Spigot — use 1” speed bore bit to drill hole on ”front” of barrel about 2” up from lower edge.
3. Overflow — use 1 7/8” hole saw with 1/4” drill bit to drill hole on “side” of barrel about 3” from upper edge. (Note: It is easier to screw in the elbow if this hole is located near the downspout hole.)
4. Screw in hose bib (spigot) using Teflon tape or caulk, if necessary.
5. Install overflow hardware. Place locknut on adapter and insert into overflow hole from outside. The adapter threads will stick through the hole allowing the elbow to be screwed on from inside of the barrel.
Prepare Flex-A-Spout (FAS):
6. Measure downspout to determine which end of FAS fits it.
7. Cut the other end of the FAS above the „cut line‟ using a sharp utility knife. This end will be inserted into the barrel.
8. Screw in sheet metal screws across from each other on the round end of the FAS.
9. Compress downspout strainer and insert into round end of the FAS and let it expand. The screws should hold the strainer in place.
The complete UT Extension publication titled “Rain Barrels Make Good Sense” can be picked up at our office.
Upcoming Events and Deadlines:
-Hardin County Feeder Calf Sale at the Hardin Co. Stockyard. Monday, August 12, 2019. Call us at 722-3229 if you have heifers or steers (No Bulls allowed) to consign to the sale. Deadline to consign calves is Aug. 7th.
-TAEP reimbursement deadline of September 1 is fast approaching. If you need help completing your paperwork, come by our office. Anita is happy to help.
-Beef Quality Assurance (BQA) training dates. We are in the process of setting two dates for BQA trainings in September. As soon as we have those dates firm, we will let everyone know. Remember you must have a current BQA certification in order to apply for the TAEP program that is coming up Oct 1.